The Nightingale

It is official...I have named my chivalric order.

The Order of the Nightingale (L'ordre du Rossignol)

From Wikipedia: "Nightingales are named so because they frequently sing at night as well as during the day. The name has been used for well over 1,000 years, being highly recognizable even in its Anglo-Saxon form - 'nihtingale'. It means 'night songstress'."

I will be announcing the members of the Court of Carntaigh and the Knights of my order in the very near future. I use three main criteria when I ask someone to be a part of my Court:

  • Proven and consistent service to the Independent State of Caledon
  • Proven and consistent service to the Duchy of Carntaigh
  • Proven and loyal friendship to me, the Duchess of Carntaigh, personally

I do not require formal vows of fealty from the members of my Court. I feel that their actions have already spoken for them. My Court is a way that I can acknowledge outstanding citizens, more of an award on behalf of myself and my small part of Caledon.

One thing to note about how Courts are developing in Caledon: the State and the Duchys do have members that overlap eachother's Courts. Therefore someone can be a member of my Court, as well as my Cousin Eva's.

I have selected my Knights on the criteria above, with the added component of "protection". These are men that I know will "fight" for me - and when I say fight, I mean that literally or figuratively depending on the Knight himself. Everyone has their own feelings regarding violence, and I respect my Knights' individual opinions on the subject.

There are a few of my Knights that I know would physically protect me during a RP scenario, and that would serve as Champions on my behalf. There are others that would choose to "protect" me by speaking up for me in certain situations. I see both of these methods of "protection" as equally valid.

I will be holding a Grand Ball to formally announce the members of my Court in the very near future. The Ball will serve as an induction of sorts, with me simply acknowledging my gratitude for those that have accepted positions in the Court of Carntaigh. There will be no vows or swearing in, simply a celebration in honor of my dear friends.

Comments

I for one, look forward to the ball!