Songs for a Friend

The Present

The Water is Wide
Traditional Irish

The water is wide, I cannot get oer
Neither have I wings to fly
Give me a boat that can carry two
And both shall row, my love and I

A ship there is and she sails the sea
She's loaded deep as deep can be
But not so deep as the love I'm in
I know not if I sink or swim

I leaned my back against an oak
Thinking it was a trusty tree
But first it bent and then it broke
So did my love prove false to me

I reached my finger into some soft bush
Thinking the fairest flower to find
I pricked my finger to the bone
And left the fairest flower behind

Oh love be handsome and love be kind
Gay as a jewel when first it is new
But love grows old and waxes cold
And fades away like the morning dew

Must I go bound while you go free
Must I love a man who doesn't love me
Must I be born with so little art
As to love a man who'll break my heart

When cockle shells turn silver bells
Then will my love come back to me
When roses bloom in winter's gloom
Then will my love return to me


The Future

Love Will Come to You
by the Indigo Girls

Guess I wasn't the best one to ask
Me myself with my face pressed up against love's glass
To see the shiny toy I've been hoping for
The one I never could afford

The wide world spins and spits turmoil
And the nations toil for peace
But the paws of fear upon your chest
Only love can soothe that beast

And my words are paper tigers
No match for the predators of pain inside her

I say love will come to you
Hoping just because I spoke the words that they're true
As if I offered up a crystal ball to look through
Where there's now one there will be two

I was born under the sign of cancer (love will come to you)
Like brushing cloth I smooth the wrinkles for an answer (love will come)
I'm always closing my eyes and wishing I'm fine (I close my eyes and wish you fine)
Even though I know I'm not this time (even though I know you're not this time)

I say love will come to you
Hoping just because I spoke the words that they're true
As if I offered up a crystal ball to look through
Where there's now one there will be two

Dodging your memories a field of knives
Always on the outside looking in on others lives

I say love will come to you
Hoping just because I spoke the words that they're true
As if I offered up a crystal ball to look through (I have offered up to you)
Where theres now one there will be two

And I wish her insight to battle loves blindness
Strength from the milk of human kindness
A safe place for all the pieces that scattered
Learn to pretend there's more than love that matters

~ The Nightingale

Comments

Neb said…
Thank you for the words to "The Water is Wide"! I have only had a few verses at my disposal until now...

Nabila N Peterman