Major Changes Coming to Radio Riel in 2010

Dear Radio Riel Event Clients,

I need to inform you of some major changes coming to Radio Riel that will affect you, and any events that you plan that require the services of a Music Presenter (DJ).

Radio Riel started out 2.5 years ago primarily as 4 people who played music at events in the Steamlands/19th Century Grid. We only ran music on Radio Riel's Main Stream 4 hours a day. Fast forward to today - we have 3 music streams that run 24/7, podcasts, Radio Theatre and in house programs created by our Presenters. And, we still provide DJs for events!

In 2010 (no firm date set yet), I will be incorporating Radio Riel as an actual life, Non Profit organization in the State of Michigan in the USA. This is the big leap that I have wanted to make for a long time, and the decision has not been easy nor quick. It's a good thing for the most part, however it does come with one major negative issue that directly affects all of you.

As of January 1, 2010, Radio Riel will no longer be able to provide Presenters for events for external clients. That means you.

Why? Because the event side of what we have been doing for the last 2.5 years is a commercial enterprise. It's a straight up "we perform services for clients and get paid by said clients" structure. That structure disqualifies us from incorporating as a Non Profit organization. We can not do that and be a Non Profit. Plain and simple.

Radio Riel itself will continue to run our independent programs such as World Wednesday and Riel Radio Theatre. Those programs have always been produced for the station itself and its listeners, not a specific client. We will hold events of our own from time to time, but again those events will be for the station and its listeners in general, not a client.

This decision has been incredibly difficult for me. I, and Radio Riel, owe a huge debt of gratitude to those of you that have hired us for events, and especially to those of you that have held events on a regular basis. You helped us make our reputation. You helped us connect to communities and potential listeners. I feel so guilty in letting the events part of Radio Riel go. I do not want to let you all down, but the reality (pun intended) is that the most important thing here is making Radio Riel real.

I strongly believe that making Radio Riel a Non Profit gives us our best chance to "make it in the real world". Internet Radio is such a wild frontier. There are a few very successful commercial Internet Radio stations, such as Radio Paradise, SOMA FM and others. They have made businesses work on a model that bases their budget on listener donations, donations that are NOT tax deductible for the listeners. I want to give our listeners (albeit it will only be the American listeners) the ability to deduct the donations they give us from their taxes. And to do that, we need to be a Non Profit.

In spite of this change, I am not simply going to abandon you. I can't do that. So, I have created this: http://steamlandsmusic.ning.com/ . As I get that started, the only clients and presenters that will belong to it will be former Radio Riel event clients and the Radio Riel Presenters. The Presenters will now all be free agents and handle events directly with you. Posting to the Steamlands Music Referral Service will be similar to what you use to do when you sent me an email, or dropped me a notecard to set up an event. I took your request and posted it in the Radio Riel Google Group. Now you will have direct access to all of the Radio Riel Presenters, with no Gabi serving as a go-between.

These changes are so bittersweet to me. It is so hard for me to let you all go, and to feel like I am letting you all down...but this means, that in 2010, Radio Riel gets REAL! I can not express my thanks and gratitude to you all for what you and your support have done for Radio Riel. Words can't describe my feelings about this. So I will just say thank you, and I wish you the best with your events, and I'll see you as a free agent myself in 2010.

Sincerely,
Gabi

Comments