Leave Your Sleep

It takes a lot for an album to impress me.

Yesterday My Lady Wife Dragon Azul, sent me a link to Natalie Merchant's latest album.  I was only mildly curious about it, because I would not have called myself a huge Natalie Merchant "fan".  I liked her work, but the only album of hers that I had ever purchased (outside of her work with 10,000 Maniacs) was her solo debut, 1995's "Tigerlily".

Then I began to read a description of the album.  "Turn of the 19th and 20th Century poems set to music..."  Hello!  My Neo-Victorian senses engaged, and I listened to a few of the tracks.  I was sufficiently impressed to decide to buy the album, "Leave Your Sleep".

I listened to the album in its entirety...twice.  I blathered like a swooning Fan Girl in Plurk and in the Radio Riel Group inside of Second Life.  What an extraordinary work.  One of the reasons I like it so much, is that in some ways, it's like a distillation of all of the varieties of music that we play on Radio Riel Main.  It's really a double album, with 27 total tracks, and the styles of these tracks run the gamut from Pop to Celtic to Blues to Folk to Bluegrass.

Ms. Merchant worked on this album for the last six years, and it shows.  Color me impressed, and it takes a lot to impress this Duchess when it comes to music.

"Leave Your Sleep" will go into rotation on Radio Riel Steampunk later this week so Radio Riel's listeners can enjoy this truly remarkable work.  Enjoy!

~ The Swooning Fan Girl Nightingale

Comments