Hurricane Charles

I sat at the bar in The Nightingale, sipping a glass of Champagne, and thought...

I have been waiting for the storm this year.

After two years of hurricanes in New Toulouse, I now expect that we will be hit at least once during storm season.

And so there I was, drinking my Champagne and waiting. I flipped through the stack of papers sitting on the bar in front of me, reviewing them.

Captain Alecto was keeping me informed as to our local weather conditions, however I moved our telegraph to the new post office. This meant that this year Miss Gardie the Postmistress would be bringing me the word from the U.S. Weather Bureau.

As if on cue, Miss Gardenia burst though the front door of The Nightingale. I chuckled to myself, just another psychic moment Gabi!

Gardenia was out of breath and her hair was escaping the confines of its twist. I patted the seat next to me. "Come sit down Miss Gardie," I said. She gratefully seated herself on the stool. I slid an empty glass over to her, picked up the bottle of Champagne and poured her a glass that was almost overflowing. She took it and tossed it back in its entirety. Oh how I do admire people who enjoy Champagne!

She placed the empty glass on the bar and I filled it again. She handed me the telegram and took up the glass again. I raised my glass to her and we clinked them together. "To whom are we toasting?", I asked, "what's the name of our hurricane this year?"

"Hurricane Charles, Miz Gabi," said Gardenia.

"Well then, here's to Hurricane Charles!", I said, and then we both downed our entire glasses.

"I will start spreading the word to the residents of New Toulouse," said Miss Gardenia. "Do you have your telegrams ready Miz Gabi?" I slid the pile of papers that had been in front of me over to her. "Thank you," she said, "it was a good idea to write them in advance this year!"

I smiled ruefully. "After the last two years, I figured it would be a good idea to have them drafted, ready and waiting!"

Gardenia hopped off her stool, in full Postmistress mode. "I'll get these out right now Miz Gabi!"

And with that, she was out the door and loping past Lafayette Cemetery and across Duchess Square. I sighed heavily and poured myself another glass of Champagne and thought...

Here comes the hurricane.



STEAMLANDS UNION TELEGRAM

MOSSEVENO TENK NEW BABBAGE
COMMODORE JEDBURGH30 DAGGER NEW BABBAGE

HURRICANE CHARLES APPROACHING NEW TOULOUSE LANDFALL IN NEXT 24 HOURS REQUEST ASSISTANCE FROM NEW BABBAGE MARINES

GABRIELLE RIEL


STEAMLANDS UNION TELEGRAM

SERRA ANANSI WINTERFELL
TOTALLUNAR ECLIPSE TENSAI HILRA STEELHEAD
DESMOND SHANG CALEDON
PUMPKIN TRIPSA SERAPH CITY
VERNDEN JERVIL ARMADA BREAKAWAY
EREWHON YOSHIKAWA MARIKESH MONDRAGO
KLAUS WULFENBACH EUROPA WULFENBACH

HURRICANE CHARLES APPROACHING NEW TOULOUSE LANDFALL IN NEXT 24 HOURS REQUEST ASSISTANCE ADVISE HEAVY CAUTION

Comments

Selena said…
STEAMLANDS UNION TELEGRAM

MIZ GABI NEW TOULOUSE

DISPATCHING SHIP WITH SUPPLIES, FRESH WATER, FOOD AND WINE. RACING TO BEAT CHARLES, SEE YOU SOON! YOURS, PRINCESS SELENA
Soliel Snook said…
Boarding up the shack, getting out my row boat.
Champagne must be saved first!!
Soliel Snook said…
Boarding up, packing the row boat.. Save the Champagne first . All else superfluous to needs.

Sol