Transcripts from Mardi Gras Meeting #1

[17:05] Gabrielle Riel: Well I am going to start! That's what tonight's meeting will be: a start, as well.
[17:05] Mercy (mercy.warcliffe): might be a short quiet meeting followed by lots of drinking?
[17:05] Adrianna Biziou meeps
[17:05] Gabrielle Riel: That's sounds lovely to me!
[17:05] Gabrielle Riel: after this day!
[17:05] Adrianna Biziou: Has been a long time since i visited the Czech Republic and tasted absinthe
[17:06] Adrianna Biziou: beautiful beautiful city
[17:06] Adrianna Biziou: (Prague)
[17:06] Gabrielle Riel: Very much so.
[17:07] Mercy (mercy.warcliffe): One of the places I dream of visiting
[17:07] Gabrielle Riel: Hello Jeanette!
[17:07] Jeanette Mavendorf: Hello Gabrielle :)
[17:08] Adrianna Biziou: the Stare Mesto and teh Charles Bridge, beautiful architecture .. there is currently a series The 3 Muskateers on the BBC ..a new series, magnificent including actors such as Peter Capaldi , the new doector who ... flmed in Prague
[17:08] Gabrielle Riel: Oh dear - there went Jeanette
[17:08] Mercy (mercy.warcliffe): Oh I'll have to look for that, I love period programs
[17:08] Adrianna Biziou: hello Pete
[17:09] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Hi to all!
[17:09] Gabrielle Riel: Please take a seat, once is rezzes!
[17:09] Gabrielle Riel: Good evening Frau Lowey!
[17:09] Adrianna Biziou: it is fabulous Mecy, has showed 3 maybe 4 episodes so far, once a week, .. 10 epsidoes in total
[17:09] Adrianna Biziou whispers: Mercy*
[17:09] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): Hallo, sorry to be late.
[17:10] Gabrielle Riel: Mardi Gras is probably the most important event of our year.
[17:10] Adrianna Biziou: Hello Annechen .. you sneaked in behind us!
[17:10] Gabrielle Riel: The other big event I do, 6 months from now is our hurricane.
[17:10] Adrianna Biziou meeps
[17:11] Gabrielle Riel: But obviously Mardi Gras is huge. People look for places to celebrate it in SL.
[17:11] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Yes!
[17:12] Gabrielle Riel: I've run major Mardi Gras events (in New Toulouse) since 2009.
[17:12] Gabrielle Riel: Last year I took a break.
[17:12] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey) nods.
[17:12] Gabrielle Riel: So if you have ideas, I know what works and what doesn't.
[17:12] Pete (peteewheatstraw): You needed it!
[17:12] Gabrielle Riel: And I can help focus ideas in order to make them work.
[17:12] Gabrielle Riel: I did!
[17:13] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Maybe just tell us what won't --or as we go!
[17:13] Gabrielle Riel: Based on what I have learned in terms of the length of the event, our Mardi Gras is going to cover two days.
[17:13] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Yay!
[17:14] Gabrielle Riel: Monday, March 3 and Tuesday, March 4
[17:14] Pete (peteewheatstraw): A Parade?
[17:14] Gabrielle Riel: We will have one, but it's not a "typical" one.
[17:14] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey) twitches, but gets it under control.
[17:14] Gabrielle Riel: The thought of a parade makes me twitch too Frau Lowey. :-)
[17:15] Gabrielle Riel: After the one I tried to do in 2011 bombed spectacularly.
[17:15] Pete (peteewheatstraw): What is your idea of not typical???
[17:15] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): I was pitched into the bayou from the square one year, just frm the rubberbanding.
[17:15] Gabrielle Riel: I'm not surprised Frau Lowey. My guess is that was 2011.
[17:16] Gabrielle Riel: It's difficult to translate events in to SL sometimes, because we have a RL paradigm
[17:16] Pete (peteewheatstraw): I have a huge fireworks display I'll be glad tocontribute ... I can customize it
[17:16] Gabrielle Riel: We have to shed those preconceived ideas
[17:16] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Ive lit upmost of NT and Bayou with it ,,,, but now Im here
[17:17] Gabrielle Riel: Typically parades in RL are scheduled
[17:17] Pete (peteewheatstraw): The fireworks ... they are really nice
[17:17] Gabrielle Riel makes a note of that
[17:18] Gabrielle Riel: But what I learned in NT is that a scheduled parade causes 100s of avatars to arrive in a sim all at once.
[17:18] Pete (peteewheatstraw): nd lagville!!!
[17:18] Pete (peteewheatstraw): and
[17:18] Gabrielle Riel: And everything goes to hell in a handbasket.
[17:18] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): So, parade of homes?
[17:18] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Whar are the alternatives?
[17:19] Gabrielle Riel: Well, that is an option. Someone ran a home tour one year in NT and I would be open to doing that here if someone is willing to take on the organization of that.
[17:19] Adrianna Biziou: sorry but may i ask what a home tour is
[17:19] Gabrielle Riel: Basically the same as a RL home tour.
[17:19] Adrianna Biziou: not homes on floats but a tour oof peopels ho,es?
[17:19] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Like a Christmas tour of homes but at Mardis Gras???
[17:19] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): It would be a good way to show off the sim, but it may be early for some of the homes or shops to be ready.
[17:19] Adrianna Biziou: ahyes )
[17:20] Gabrielle Riel: Correct
[17:20] Pete (peteewheatstraw): We'd just need to get busy!
[17:20] Gabrielle Riel: If one of you would be willing to take that concept on, you can check with residents - see who would be up for it.
[17:21] Adrianna Biziou: what would those participating be expected to do?
[17:21] Adrianna Biziou: other than turn off any alarms
[17:21] Pete (peteewheatstraw): ... or who has a home worth showing haha
[17:21] Gabrielle Riel: I'll give anyone who needs to communicate with the estate the authority to send notices.
[17:22] Gabrielle Riel: The way the one in NT worked, there was a notecard with the names of the homes of the participants, with landmarks.
[17:22] Pete (peteewheatstraw): ... though I'm sure many of the residents have quality homes worth showing!@
[17:22] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): The reverse parade... Hm. Perhaps we need to make sure there is not the need to flash the architecture to get a throw?
[17:22] Adrianna Biziou: yes
[17:22] Gabrielle Riel: The participants decorated their homes as they desired and many left freebie gifts for the people touring.
[17:23] Adrianna Biziou: I like the sound of that
[17:23] Pete (peteewheatstraw): That sounds wonderful
[17:23] Gabrielle Riel: It was open for all the days, but there was one day that we scheduled a group tour. The person who ran the tour took folks around.
[17:23] Mercy (mercy.warcliffe): that would be a nice idea
[17:23] Adrianna Biziou: are there special types of decorations to celebrate Mardi Gras, I am a litle unsure how one would need to set ones home out
[17:23] Gabrielle Riel: Would any of you be willing to manage a home tour?
[17:24] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): I need to find the case of absinthe in my inventory....
[17:24] Adrianna Biziou smiles
[17:24] Gabrielle Riel: There are no specific items for decorating. What's important are the colors.
[17:24] Pete (peteewheatstraw): All the homes or just our own?
[17:24] Gabrielle Riel: All the homes.
[17:24] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): I have not done that sort of tour before, but would be willing to pitch in.
[17:24] Adrianna Biziou: al
[17:24] Adrianna Biziou: l
[17:25] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Kings Cake Colors!!! Woooo Hooooo!!!
[17:25] Gabrielle Riel: Green, Gold and Purple
[17:25] Gabrielle Riel: I have bunting I hang along the fences
[17:25] Gabrielle Riel: Alright Frau Lowey, I will put your name down at the insan...home tour manager. :-)
[17:26] Adrianna Biziou sighs quietly in relief
[17:26] Gabrielle Riel: I can give you once piece of initial advice - contact Francesca Alva
[17:26] Gabrielle Riel: She has a cemetery parcel here and she ran the NT home tour (I think) in 2012.
[17:26] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Yes, the cake colors!  I would help but it depends on how it works with mt RL job .... Ive been trapped in a motel my job put me in all week
[17:26] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey) nods.
[17:27] Gabrielle Riel: She can tell you what she did specifically.
[17:27] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Im a slow typer!
[17:27] Gabrielle Riel writes down home tour
[17:27] Gabrielle Riel: so our parade
[17:27] Adrianna Biziou: I am a fast typer but not terribly good at speed
[17:28] Adrianna Biziou: typo a lot when not checking what i am doing pfft
[17:28] Gabrielle Riel: I was so distraught over my parade failure in 2011 that I worked on ideas for the whole following year
[17:28] Gabrielle Riel: And what I came up with ended up being a smashing success.
[17:28] Adrianna Biziou: It is good to know you have such affection for the estates that you did so
[17:29] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Yes....
[17:29] Gabrielle Riel: It's called the "Always Marching Parade".
[17:29] Adrianna Biziou nods
[17:29] Gabrielle Riel: Teams (Krewes) built floats together. They could be as creative as they wanted, but I think I asked them to put at least 3 seats on their floats.
[17:30] Gabrielle Riel: I then took the floats and automated them
[17:30] Gabrielle Riel: And then invited anyone and everyone to ride them, for 2 days straight
[17:30] Gabrielle Riel: So all of the guests who came jumped on floats
[17:30] Adrianna Biziou: people will get dizzy if they stay on for teh whole duration!
[17:31] Gabrielle Riel: And road around the sims (I had the route over NT and NT Bourbon)
[17:31] Gabrielle Riel: The floats were like moving artwork
[17:31] Adrianna Biziou: What will the floats be pulled by?
[17:31] Gabrielle Riel: So they were interesting to look at at all times
[17:32] Gabrielle Riel: Nothing - they move on their own, although there is no reason someone couldn't build a float with a horse attached
[17:32] Adrianna Biziou: am thinkign horses but realise they may be engined now
[17:32] Gabrielle Riel: Or a vintage auto
[17:32] Adrianna Biziou: yes )
[17:32] Pete (peteewheatstraw): ... or Male slaves
[17:32] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): hmmmmmmmm
[17:32] Adrianna Biziou shudders
[17:32] Gabrielle Riel tries not to laugh
[17:33] Adrianna Biziou: please do try
[17:33] Adrianna Biziou: you will start uis all off
[17:33] Gabrielle Riel: One thing though
[17:33] Pete (peteewheatstraw): OK
[17:33] Gabrielle Riel: These are SL vehicles
[17:33] Gabrielle Riel: If you know anything about SL vehicles you know they have a prim limit in size.
[17:33] Adrianna Biziou nods
[17:33] Gabrielle Riel: The ones that are automated - 30 prims or less
[17:34] Gabrielle Riel: I did buy a new automation system this year, so I will double check the limit on this new system
[17:34] Gabrielle Riel: But in 2012 I used the scripts from the Caledon Rail system. :-)
[17:35] Gabrielle Riel: That 2012 parade turned it into an interactive experience
[17:35] Adrianna Biziou: You can visit establishments such as the Gudied Tour Company and thnk other thans elling wonderful tour vehicles .. alas not suitable to mardi Gras, i think they also sell the scrtips for running ones own. I think i have the scripts somewhere in my inventory .. somewhere
[17:35] Gabrielle Riel: I had NO idea if the Always Marching Parade would work
[17:35] Gabrielle Riel: Again because people are used to the "scheduled" paradigm.
[17:36] Adrianna Biziou: yes
[17:36] Gabrielle Riel: But it was a BLAST!
[17:36] Gabrielle Riel: There were people riding all the time!
[17:36] Gabrielle Riel: And people watching - everyone calling out to each other
[17:36] Adrianna Biziou: :)
[17:36] Gabrielle Riel: And even if there weren't a lot of people in the sim, it was still going on
[17:36] Gabrielle Riel: There was NO lag
[17:36] Gabrielle Riel: No sim crashes
[17:37] Gabrielle Riel: No people being rubberbanded into Bayou
[17:37] Adrianna Biziou laughs
[17:37] Gabrielle Riel: I also set up a contest board with pics of each float
[17:37] Gabrielle Riel: And guests clicked on the pic of the float they liked best
[17:37] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey) nods.
[17:37] Gabrielle Riel: And I gave Linden prizes to the top 3
[17:38] Pete (peteewheatstraw): That sounds great!
[17:38] Gabrielle Riel: I will do that again this year. There is one thing I think I will do a little differently...not sure.
[17:38] Gabrielle Riel: I might set the floats out early and start voting early. They won't be running, but people can vote.
[17:39] Gabrielle Riel: Then I'd keep the voting open all day Wednesday.
[17:39] Gabrielle Riel: Set a clear time for close of voting.
[17:39] Gabrielle Riel: And then post the winners on Tuesday.
[17:39] Gabrielle Riel: So floats can get recognition as they are being used.
[17:39] Gabrielle Riel: BUT...that's just an idea. Not sure if I will do it.
[17:39] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey) nods.
[17:40] Gabrielle Riel: I will manage everything for the parade.
[17:40] Gabrielle Riel: I'll get the word out for float entires.
[17:40] Gabrielle Riel: I'll set the deadlines. I'll automate it and set up and run the contest.
[17:40] Adrianna Biziou: Are the little prims about the streets the pointers for automated tours?
[17:40] Adrianna Biziou: have been thkning tyhaty for a while now
[17:40] Gabrielle Riel: One thing that all of you can do is make a float or form a Krewe to make a float.
[17:41] Gabrielle Riel: Yes, those are for our trolley.
[17:41] Adrianna Biziou: :)
[17:41] Gabrielle Riel: Which will NOT run during Mardi Gras!
[17:41] Adrianna Biziou: yes
[17:41] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): You have to catch a flaot to get around town.
[17:42] Gabrielle Riel: Yes. I set up a "boarding" area
[17:42] Gabrielle Riel: That is well labeled.
[17:42] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey) nods.
[17:42] Gabrielle Riel: People figured it our right away, which was nice.
[17:42] Gabrielle Riel: That means I did it right. :-)
[17:42] Gabrielle Riel: I'll be sending out float info tomorrow. I also invite people from other communities to create floats
[17:43] Gabrielle Riel: As well as our residents
[17:43] Adrianna Biziou: wonderful i like the idea of otehr communities joining in the parade
[17:43] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey) nods.
[17:43] Gabrielle Riel: I might put out some of the NT floats from 2012 so people can see examples
[17:43] Gabrielle Riel: Hey Emma!
[17:43] Emmanuelle Huntress: Bonjour
[17:44] Adrianna Biziou: /Hi Emmaniuelle
[17:44] Gabrielle Riel: Here is what I have documented thus far:
[17:44] Gabrielle Riel: Frau Lowey - Home Tour
[17:44] Gabrielle Riel: Pete - Fireworks displays - those we should schedule, or run on a schedule
[17:44] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Sounds geeat!
[17:45] Gabrielle Riel: Gabi - The Always Marching Parade and Float Contest
[17:45] Gabrielle Riel: There is one other thing I will handle.
[17:45] Gabrielle Riel: On Mardi Gras itself - a Mardi Gras Ball at the Edison Ballroom
[17:45] Pete (peteewheatstraw): yay!
[17:46] Gabrielle Riel: Formal attire, masque if desried
[17:46] Adrianna Biziou smiles
[17:46] Gabrielle Riel: I might do two (for time zones) or one. Not sure yet.
[17:46] Adrianna Biziou likes the idea of two
[17:46] Gabrielle Riel: Is there anything that any of you have been thinking of for Mardi Gras events?
[17:47] Pete (peteewheatstraw): I agree Adrianna
[17:47] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Crawdad gargling!!!
[17:47] Gabrielle Riel: One thing I did in NT that was fun, but I am not sure if I would do here is a zombie hunt
[17:47] Pete (peteewheatstraw): ...peeled, of course
[17:48] Emmanuelle Huntress: Ain't much space for that over here
[17:48] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): The White Tie Easter Weekend Zombie Hunt was fun.
[17:48] Mercy (mercy.warcliffe): peeled zombies?
[17:48] Adrianna Biziou: peeled zombies .. sounds awful
[17:48] Gabrielle Riel: I don't think we have room here, unless we did it in St John Woods.
[17:48] Pete (peteewheatstraw): That would be great
[17:48] Gabrielle Riel: Exactly Emma
[17:48] Emmanuelle Huntress: Exfoliated zombies
[17:48] Adrianna Biziou smiles
[17:48] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): They may have been zombies, but they looked faabulous.
[17:49] Mercy (mercy.warcliffe): why am I thinking of zombies having a spa day?
[17:49] Adrianna Biziou laughs
[17:49] Gabrielle Riel: So...if anyone would be interested in running a zombie hunt, please let me know. It would require you to have a Zombie machine.
[17:49] Gabrielle Riel: afk one moment - need water
[17:49] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): the Baron may be interested, but he is fond of that sort of thing.
[17:50] Gabrielle Riel: Excellent!
[17:50] Gabrielle Riel makes a note
[17:50] Gabrielle Riel: Today is for brainstorming
[17:50] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): I will let him know to tell you if the Baronin keeps him too busy to do that.
[17:51] Gabrielle Riel grins
[17:51] Gabrielle Riel: Thank you Frau Lowey
[17:51] Pete (peteewheatstraw): I did not know there was a zombie machine!  Id best stick to fireworks!!!
[17:51] Gabrielle Riel: There are several
[17:51] Gabrielle Riel: One has been around for many years
[17:51] Pete (peteewheatstraw): It puts out zombies?
[17:51] Gabrielle Riel: I bought a newer one for 2012 Mardi Gras that was seriously gruesome
[17:52] Emmanuelle Huntress: it's a rezzer dealie
[17:52] Gabrielle Riel: After the meeting I'll rez it in the square :-D
[17:52] Gabrielle Riel: So you can see
[17:52] Emmanuelle Huntress: you set it, and it makes bodies
[17:52] Gabrielle Riel checks that her rifle in her inventory is loaded
[17:52] Adrianna Biziou: yes they do lok good have seen them once before
[17:52] Gabrielle Riel: I love them
[17:53] Pete (peteewheatstraw): They aren't bad ... just misunderstood!
[17:53] Emmanuelle Huntress: now we's ready
[17:53] Adrianna Biziou: )
[17:53] Gabrielle Riel looks at the time - this was a good start - and as I said it's just our beginning. Next week's tea will be about Mardi Gras planning. And we also have another meeting here in 2 weeks.
[17:54] Pete (peteewheatstraw): I have enjoyed these!
[17:54] Gabrielle Riel: Think about what you might be able to do to help - one thing I MIGHT (not sure) need help with is putting up decorations on public land.
[17:54] Adrianna Biziou: Am happy to help with that
[17:54] Gabrielle Riel: I'll let you all know if I need help with that.
[17:55] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Please!
[17:55] Gabrielle Riel: It will depend on available prims, so I might have to just put up some simple things.
[17:55] Gabrielle Riel: Especially because the floats use prims on public land.
[17:55] Adrianna Biziou: A shame that Hiraani could not make htis meetuiugn, she was my estate manager for along time and has an excellent ye fo rdetail, am sure she would love to aswe ll
[17:56] Gabrielle Riel: Pete would you be willing to run a fireworks show each day? One on Monday and one on Tuesday?
[17:56] Gabrielle Riel: What times are you usually available to be in SL?
[17:57] Gabrielle Riel: Or perhaps it's something you can automate?
[17:57] Pete (peteewheatstraw): I also have Cajun music I can stream whereever I can put in my stream ... hopefully my soon to be place behind the cemetery
[17:57] Gabrielle Riel: We are already set for music :-)
[17:57] Adrianna Biziou: you can either have constantly running scripts else the automated tour variety which innly run once when activate such as the ferry crossing here
[17:57] Pete (peteewheatstraw): I will be available for the fireworks whenever you want --- they are quite impressive!!!
[17:58] Gabrielle Riel: I run Mardi Gras music all day both days on Main
[17:58] Pete (peteewheatstraw): That sounds great!
[17:59] Gabrielle Riel: It would be nice to have a fireworks show that runs at 2pm SLT and 7pm SLT on each day.
[17:59] Gabrielle Riel: One for Euro evening and one for North America.
[17:59] Pete (peteewheatstraw): I can do that
[17:59] Annechen Löwey (annechen.lowey): That would be interesting.
[17:59] Gabrielle Riel: Perfect
[17:59] Adrianna Biziou: i tend to live in both zones pfft
[17:59] Pete (peteewheatstraw): I can do a sample show before if you like!
[18:00] Gabrielle Riel: I'd like to wrap this meeting up, and then we'll go to the square and I'll rez zombies for you. :-)
[18:00] Pete (peteewheatstraw): Wooo hoooo!!!!
[18:00] Gabrielle Riel: Yes, let's schedule a sample show in advance Pete.
[18:00] Adrianna Biziou 's eyes widen
[18:00] Gabrielle Riel: Any questions before we zombie? ;-)

Comments