St John Tea Transcripts - 05/21/2014

[18:05] Gabrielle Riel: Good evening! Welcome to tea!

[18:05] Peetie (peteewheatstraw): Thanks!

[18:05] Gabrielle Riel: Tonight’s topic is the lovely empty sim we see just to the North of us here, Lake St John.

[18:06] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander) applauds

[18:06] Peetie (peteewheatstraw): Yay!!!

[18:06] Holocluck Henly ran through it last weekend

[18:06] Vanda de la Rose-Noir (vanda.darkrose) smiles

[18:06] Holocluck Henly: It's a fixer upper

[18:06] Aoife (aoife.lorefield): I'll have to explore :)

[18:07] Gabrielle Riel: I have a great deal of information to cover this evening. It's very likely that as questions come to you, I will be answering them as I get to them in the agenda.

[18:07] Gabrielle Riel: So I have a recommendation regarding questions.

[18:07] Peetie (peteewheatstraw): Save them?

[18:07] Aoife (aoife.lorefield): grins

[18:08] Gabrielle Riel: If you have a question as to what I am saying at the very moment I am saying it, feel free to ask, otherwise, follow Pete's suggestion! :-)

[18:08] Gabrielle Riel: That way I won't be constantly saying "I'm getting to it...I'm getting to it" :-)

[18:09] Gabrielle Riel: First. I am going to talk a little bit about the work I am doing on it, and then I will get into details about parcels and leasing.

[18:10] Gabrielle Riel: As you can see, I've only done some basic temporary landscaping in the sim thus far. Probably the only things in the entire sim that are“done” are the selection and application of terrain textures.

[18:10] Gabrielle Riel: You can see I placed a “road prim” that runs North to South, but that’s just a temporary placement. I am hoping I can create a more winding road that meanders amongst the bayou houses/shacks.

[18:11] Gabrielle Riel: I've been out playing with my new trees and that's about it.

[18:11] Gabrielle Riel: Look at those swamp cypresses!

[18:11] Gabrielle Riel: I wanted those for FOUR years in New Toulouse.

[18:11] Gabrielle Riel: Mr. Breitman is going to cry with joy. I did.

[18:12] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): I wonder if they're the same ones I saw in the Marketplace.

[18:12] Vanda de la Rose-Noir (vanda.darkrose): I *love* those cypresses :)

[18:12] Gabrielle Riel: Both Mr. B. and I looked *constantly* for trees like these.

[18:12] Gabrielle Riel: Every 2-3 months.

[18:12] Aoife (aoife.lorefield): trees are getting better all the time ... those look great :)

[18:12] Gabrielle Riel: Me for 4 years, him for 2.5.

[18:12] Gabrielle Riel: So I am *so* happy!!

[18:12] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): Heavenslough.

[18:13] Gabrielle Riel: Speaking of bayou, the theme for this sim is lake & bayou. Builds will need to be in accordance with that theme. Louisiana bayou shacks or the types of houses you would see on Lake Pontchartrain.

[18:14] Gabrielle Riel: I am still brainstorming on the physical transition between Saint John Woods and Lake St John. I have several ideas on how to handle it and I am just going to need to explore them all before I make a decision..

[18:14] Holocluck Henly: yes rather heavenslough

[18:14] Gabrielle Riel: There is no rush on a “sim-divider” as it’s spring heading into summer. But come fall there will need to be something that serves as a visual transition. The leaves in SJW will change and then it has snow.

[18:15] Holocluck Henly: speaking of which if it is still going to be a deciduous mage friendly place maybe a trellis with transparent haze or fog?

[18:15] Gabrielle Riel: Honestly I am not sure. I have several ideas, I just need to "play". That's when inspiration hits.

[18:15] Gabrielle Riel: Then and when I am in the shower.

[18:16] Gabrielle Riel: I am going out of town this weekend for the holiday, and even though I worked on the sim today and I will do some work tomorrow, it will not be done by the time I leave for the weekend.

[18:16] Gabrielle Riel: Because of this, it will likely be 1-2 weeks before the sim is fully complete and open for public leasing.

[18:17] Aoife (aoife.lorefield): nods

[18:17] Gabrielle Riel: When I say “public leasing” I mean the general public. I am going to work with existing St John residents on getting them into parcels *before* I open to the public.

[18:17] Gabrielle Riel: We might never even get to "public leasing". It could fill with existing residents.

[18:17] Gabrielle Riel: I am going to do something very different with this sim in terms of parceling. Usually I create a sim with parcels already cut. However, what ends up happening is residents ask for changes to their parcels. They want them expanded or reduced. They want more prims. There are constant requests for customization.

[18:18] Gabrielle Riel: Because of this I have decided to not cut ANY parcels in the beginning, prior to going public. I am going to ask the residents of St John that are interested in living in Lake St John to contact me and let me know that they would like to have a parcel there.

[18:19] Gabrielle Riel: Existing residents can expand their land holdings or transfer from their current parcel to one in Lake St John.

[18:19] Gabrielle Riel: There are two very important things I need to know from those of you who want to have a parcel in Lake St John:

[18:20] Gabrielle Riel: 1. Are you adding an LSJ parcel as an addition to what you already have in St John or do you want to move completely to LSJ?

[18:20] Gabrielle Riel: 2. What size parcel would you like?

[18:20] Gabrielle Riel: (I'll be providing size options in a few min)

[18:20] Gabrielle Riel: Once I know the answers to these questions, THEN I can start cutting parcels. I want to know what everyone wants first, so that I don’t waste my time with parceling, terraforming and landscaping the land and then have all sorts of requests for changes

[18:21] Gabrielle Riel: I will literally build the sim around you and your needs.

[18:21] Gabrielle Riel: The current terraforming is just "for show" and a general idea of what I would like.

[18:21] Holocluck Henly raises hand

[18:22] Gabrielle Riel: Once I calculate number of parcels and their sizes, the final terraforming will come into existence.

[18:22] Gabrielle Riel: Oui Holo?

[18:22] Holocluck Henly: Merci...

[18:23] Holocluck Henly: How was retention in lake St Charles and do you feel this method would resolve any transience?

[18:23] Gabrielle Riel: NT Pontchartrain was always full.

[18:23] Gabrielle Riel grins at Dawn.

[18:23] DawnMcCormick grins back

[18:23] Holocluck Henly: ty pnchartrain... the second from the right i mean

[18:23] Gabrielle Riel: Crescent was usually full.

[18:24] Gabrielle Riel: St Charles was a mistake on my part. I overexpanded.

[18:24] Holocluck Henly: ahh

[18:24] Gabrielle Riel: I should have stuck with 6 sims, not 8.

[18:24] Gabrielle Riel: Because NT Pontchartain had a market.

[18:24] Holocluck Henly: so this should be a given that no one is likely to move esp if they were regulars there as well

[18:25] Gabrielle Riel: Another problem with the homesteads in NT was that the tier was higher.

[18:25] Gabrielle Riel: This tier is the same as SJP and SJW.

[18:25] Gabrielle Riel: And yes, that means I am taking a loss on this sim.

[18:25] Gabrielle Riel: Even fully leased, it's a loss.

[18:26] Gabrielle Riel: Because homesteads are stupid expensive.

[18:26] Gabrielle Riel: I am willing to take the loss because I think the contiguous estate is worth it.

[18:26] Holocluck Henly: ( btw here from fantasy faire are a couple shots of Heavenslough -- Heavenslough https://flic.kr/p/nsjzyW
Mystical gateway in Heavenslough https://flic.kr/p/nsjjVr )

[18:26] DawnMcCormick: in my opinion the small islands made Portchatrain so atractive - but what do I newbie know ;-)

[18:26] Gabrielle Riel chuckles

[18:27] Gabrielle Riel: Plus, this gives us a "bayou".

[18:27] Holocluck Henly: I liked that there were little things on them like a boat dock

[18:27] Gabrielle Riel: I honestly don't know if I could fill a full sim bayou.

[18:27] Gabrielle Riel: Maybe? We'll see. This will give us that flavor no matter what happens.

[18:28] Gabrielle Riel: Once I have you SJ folks settled, then I will see how many sq. m. remain available in LSJ for leasing and I’ll parcel those up and put them on the public market.

[18:29] Gabrielle Riel: You will need to know what parcel sizing and pricing will be before you can tell me what you would like, so now I'll cover that.

[18:29] Gabrielle Riel: I *am* going to charge a small rental rights fee for these parcels in Lake St John. Even if you own an existing parcel you *must* pay the rental rights fee. I typically do not do that with transfers of existing residents, but I had to put out a lot of cash up front in order to buy this sim.

[18:29] Gabrielle Riel: Therefore, this one time, transfers will be different, due to the fact that I had to buy the sim. Once LSJ fills, and moving forward, my policy will return to “no charge” for parcel transfers.

[18:30] Gabrielle Riel: Have no fear, the rental rights I am charging are super, crazy low for a brand new, semi-private, triple prim sim! That amount is $2 L per sq. m.

[18:30] Gabrielle Riel: LSJ, like SJP and SJW is triple prim. The weekly tier for LSJ parcels equals that of the parcels of the same sizes in the other two sims.

[18:31] Gabrielle Riel: Another thing that I am going to require is that the new residents of Lake St John pay 4 weeks of tier upon move in. That includes people transferring tier.

[18:31] Emmanuelle Huntress grins

[18:32] Gabrielle Riel: For example let’s say you have a week of tier left on your current parcel and you want to switch to LSJ. You will need to pay 4 weeks of tier into the meter upon move in and then I will transfer any existing tier that you have, so you will end up with 5 weeks on the meter.

[18:32] Gabrielle Riel: You still get all your time for tier-paid. I just need to do this to level out the estate cash flow for the month. I had to dip into our reserves and my own pocket to buy this sim. I want to fill our reserves back up so the next round of billing doesn’t kill us.

[18:33] Gabrielle Riel: And even though the meters only take 6 weeks in advance, I can manually set them for longer amounts.

[18:34] Gabrielle Riel: So if you already had a 4 week balance, you'd pay for the 4 weeks for LSJ move in, then I would add your 4 weeks, giving you an 8 week balance.

[18:34] Gabrielle Riel: The meters allow me to do that.

[18:34] Gabrielle Riel: Lake St John is not going to have a lot of room for “big” parcels. I probably have room for two 1024 sq. m. parcels, and then the rest of the parcels will all be smaller. 512 sq. m., 256 sq. m. etc.

[18:35] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): If they are shacks and the like, that would suit better.

[18:35] Gabrielle Riel: Exactly

[18:35] Gabrielle Riel: And they are triple prim, so you get a lot of prims even if you only have 512 sq. m.

[18:36] Gabrielle Riel: I create parcels based on multiples of 128 sq. m. with 87 prims at a cost of $170 L per week. With this structure the costs are as follows:

[18:36] Gabrielle Riel: (prepare for much copying and pasting from me - lots of info here)

[18:36] Gabrielle Riel: Parcel = 256 sq. m. - 174 prims - $340 L per week tier - payment upon move-in = $512 L (rental rights) + $1360 L (1st 4 weeks of tier) = $1872 L.

[18:37] Gabrielle Riel: So under $2000 L gets you in if you want something there, but size is not an issue.

[18:37] Gabrielle Riel: Parcel = 384 sq. m. - 261 prims - $510 L per week tier - payment upon move-in = $768 L (rental rights) + $2040 L (1st 4 weeks of tier) = $2808 L.

[18:38] Gabrielle Riel: Parcel = 512 sq. m. - 351 prims - $675 L per week - payment upon move-in = $1024 L (rental rights) + $2700 L (1st 4 weeks of tier) = $3724 L

[18:38] Gabrielle Riel: Parcel = 768 sq. m. - 525 prims - $1015 L per week - payment upon move-in = $1536 L (rental rights) + $4060 L (1st 4 weeks of tier) = $5596 L.

[18:39] Gabrielle Riel: Parcel = 1024 sq. m. - 702 prims - $1350 L per week - payment upon move-in = $2048 L + $5400 L (1st 4 weeks of tier) = $7448 L

[18:39] Gabrielle Riel: That is basically where we stand with Lake St John. If you would like a parcel please drop me a notecard that tells me….

[18:39] Gabrielle Riel: 1. If you are adding to your holdings or if you want to transfer to an LSJ parcel and leave your existing one

[18:39] Aoife (aoife.lorefield): thanks for providing all this detail :)

[18:40] Emmanuelle Huntress is typing :D

[18:40] Gabrielle Riel grins - and this is all saved in the transcripts that go on my blog

[18:40] Gabrielle Riel: 2. What size parcel would you like in LSJ?

[18:40] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): Frau Lowey had family business tonight, so she will appreciate that.

[18:41] Gabrielle Riel: You do not need to pay me anything now. If you tell me you want a parcel, I will make sure you have it. As I said earlier, it will likely be a week or two before it’s fully ready.

[18:41] Gabrielle Riel: I’ll be around this evening and tomorrow and for a little bit on Friday morning and then I will be off on holiday until Monday evening.

[18:42] Gabrielle Riel: That is all the info I needed to provide you with - now...does anyone have any questions?

[18:43] Gabrielle Riel: I know of a few residents that want LSJ parcels for sure. I think I have 3 for sure thus far. I do not know what sizes they want.

[18:43] Gabrielle Riel: But I figured other residents might want a parcel now that all the details are known.

[18:45] Gabrielle Riel: Hey CC!

[18:46] Gabrielle Riel hears the sounds of scribbling on notecards.

[18:46] Holocluck Henly: :)

[18:46] Ms. CC Creeggan (cronocloud.creeggan) waves Hello to all and Sundry, Duchesses, Residents, and Baron.

[18:46] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): Fraulein; Herr Bouquet.

[18:46] Gabrielle Riel: My ideal scenario would be that I eventually see enough demand for parcels in LSJ so that I could create our Bayou St John.

[18:47] Emmanuelle Huntress: So I can reclaim my title :)

[18:47] Gabrielle Riel: As a full sim. But I won't do that unless people are clamoring my parcels.

[18:47] Gabrielle Riel: Emma...we need to be careful!

[18:47] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): Your title?

[18:48] Gabrielle Riel: The last time I told someone she could be Queen of the Bayou, she went off her rocker.

[18:48] Emmanuelle Huntress: I know. *mumbles my mea culpas*

[18:48] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander) laughs

[18:48] Emmanuelle Huntress: Empress of Bayou Free State.

[18:48] Holocluck Henly: hehehe

[18:48] Gabrielle Riel grins - oh my what a mess it was!

[18:48] Ms. CC Creeggan (cronocloud.creeggan): We won't know until fall.....  though if demand doesn't drop too much during summer we'll have an idea.

[18:48] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): Empires take a good bit of work.

[18:48] Robert Bouquet (eyemdreaming): Hello all...as I am a frequent visitor and constant appreciator of SJ Parish I was interested in hearing Mmme Riels plans for new SJ Lake sim

[18:48] Aoife (aoife.lorefield): grins ... there's a story or two in there, I'm thinking

[18:48] Gabrielle Riel: Welcome Mr. Bouquet!

[18:49] Ms. CC Creeggan (cronocloud.creeggan): Well "SHE" will know, not me, she knows the numbers.

[18:49] Emmanuelle Huntress: There are a few.

[18:49] Holocluck Henly: (brb)

[18:49] Gabrielle Riel: One thing that I know will happen. This is going to open up parcels in SJP and SJW.

[18:49] Gabrielle Riel: As current residents move into LSJ.

[18:50] DawnMcCormick wonders if it is not very annoying when citizens move around all the time

[18:50] Gabrielle Riel: So if LSJ fills with current residents, and never has anything on the public
market (which I think is possible)

[18:50] Gabrielle Riel: New folks can still move in to St John. There will be room.

[18:51] Gabrielle Riel: Not in a case like this Dawn.

[18:51] DawnMcCormick smiles and nods

[18:51] Emmanuelle Huntress: as long as your address has a St John in it

[18:51] Gabrielle Riel: Transfers are always part of the deal with a new sim.

[18:51] Gabrielle Riel: I was a very early resident of Caledon. I moved in with the 5th sim.

[18:52] Gabrielle Riel: And what happened there was that as Des added sims, people lost their shorelines.

[18:52] Gabrielle Riel: And so those of us with coastal land ALL moved to the new sim so we could keep our shores!

[18:52] DawnMcCormick nods

[18:52] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander) snorts in amusement.

[18:52] Emmanuelle Huntress: Migration.

[18:53] Gabrielle Riel: So I moved...*thinks*....3 times in my first 4 months in Caledon?

[18:53] Gabrielle Riel: That's why I have so many Caledon founders plaques. :-)

[18:53] DawnMcCormick grins

[18:53] Gabrielle Riel: Eventually Caledon got so big that was no longer possible.

[18:54] Gabrielle Riel: But in those first 6 months in 2006, we were all moving to keep our coasts.

[18:54] Gabrielle Riel: It was never really an issue in New Toulouse, with the way it grew.

[18:55] Gabrielle Riel: There were some people who had coastlines in Algiers that moved to Bayou when I launched it.

[18:55] Gabrielle Riel: But that was it.

[18:56] Gabrielle Riel: We are 5 min to the top of the hour, so I'd like to bring the official tea to a close. Done in under an hour. Just the way I like it!

Comments