La Maison Riel
St John Beach, St John
January 30, 1917
Dear Esteemed Leaders and Residents of the Second Life Steamlands, Aetherchrononauts and Historic and Alternate History Communities:
I would like to invite you to participate in the St John Mardi Gras Parade by creating a parade float. Floats can be created on behalf of a community or by individuals who enjoy building and would like to contribute to the parade.
The parade will take place from Monday evening, February 27 until Wednesday morning, March 1.
Community Leaders: could you please send this invitation to your residents via group notice and any other communication methods you use for your community?
If you are interested in participating in the St John Mardi Gras parade, keep reading below! If you have any questions, the best way to reach me is via email at email@example.com .
St John 1917 Mardi Gras Float Building Specifications
In St John, we have “the always marching parade” which means the floats are automated and moving at all times during the Mardi Gras celebration.
If you would like to create a team (Krewe) to build or sponsor a float, you are welcome to do so; however you do not have to be in a Krewe in order to create a float. Krewes can be community-based or simply a group of friends.
Our parade is meant for visitor interaction. We encourage people to ride the floats. This keeps the parade active for visitors, no matter their actual time zone. Think of the floats as moving works of art.
Creators, you can make your float simple or elaborate. Think creatively! Additionally, please build your float with at the very least a nod to vintage style as St John's theme is set 100 years ago.
Video Instructions: https://youtu.be/iCwhQRdZ2pU?t=4m30s
Note about video instructions: I created this video for the 1916 St John Mardi Gras Parade. I am also using it for the 1917 St John Mardi Gras Parade, so keep in mind that the dates that I mention in this video are incorrect for 1917.
Each of these specs is essential! If you do not follow these instructions exactly, your float will not work!
- Create your float base as a rectangle with the following size coordinates: X = 6.0, Y = 0.5, Z = 4.0.
- Rotate the base 90 degrees on the X Axis. The front of the float is +X, which is the Second Life vehicle default.
- The float must have full permissions.
- The float can be no more than 30 prims.
- Please set your float base as your root prim. I will add the scripts to the base for the parade.
- Keep in mind that you will probably need poses in the build for riders. I recommend two or three poses per float.
- I have several full perm sitting and standing poses for floats. Contact me if you need some.
- Sculpties and mesh are ok, just keep in mind that linking them can increase your prim count.
- Scripts are ok, but keep in mind that more scripts = more lag. Also, please do not place your scripts in your float base.
- You must drop a full permissions copy of your float on me, Gabrielle Riel by 5:00pm SLT on Friday, February 24.
- Be prepared to fix your float and provide a new full perms copy to me as soon as possible if I find that the rotation of the base is incorrect.