A Shotgun Wedding in 1920s New York

I had needed to get out of St John.

The month of April 1917 had been incredibly stressful on all levels.

On the global level, President Wilson had called for war on Germany, and on April 6, the US Congress had declared it. I had no idea what this was going to mean for St John and its residents. All I knew was that I was living in dread of what fresh horrors I would read about in the daily newspaper.

In my personal world, I had played 8 gigs in 9 days at the beginning of the month and then played 4 gigs in 4 days at the end of the month. I had hosted the 3rd Court of Carntaigh Presentation Ball and celebrated my 11 years in Second Life. I had not managed this many events and gigs in such a short time since 1908.

In the midst of that crazy work schedule, I had new opportunities with old friends. I had existing bonds of friendship strengthened. And in one case, I had not only broken a bond with someone that I had loved very much, but I had watched a year of beautiful memories go up in flames as we both scorched the earth until there was nothing left.

I had really needed to get out of St John!

And so, I went to New York City. Several of my friends were on a trip there and I decided to join them.

Once in New York, I took the opportunity to do something that I had been pondering for well over a year. I went to the salon and directed the stylist to cut my hair like Mrs. Castle's!


They were so kind at the salon. They plied me with Champagne as my long, dark tresses fell in waves on to the floor. Needless to say, I was rather looped by the time I left to go meet my friends at Jogi's for more drinks!

That's when things became very interesting!

There we all were, having the grandest of times...when Scout's father arrived on the scene, with a shotgun! He was going to see to it that Scout and Johnnie were married that night, come hell or high water!

Between the Champagne and the shotgun, I blurted out that I technically had the authority to marry people. I had been ordained back in 1908 so that I could marry Jameson Despres and Jayleden Miles at St Hildegard's in Caledon Carntaigh.

Before I knew it, we were all in the park...

Gabrielle Riel: Ahh....good evening and welcome everyone!

Zoe Foodiboo whispers "so exciting!"

Eloise Schiltzen overlooks the loaded weapon to cheer. "Yay!"

Scout MacLeod looks around and sees the signature style of the ladies at the bayou church and wonders just who all came along for this trip

Gabrielle Riel smooths her skirts and stands as straight as she is able after a bottle of Dom Perignon.

Gabrielle Riel: Dear ones, this evening we are gathered together here in the sight of the Grid, and in the face of this company, to join together Johnnie and Scout in Second Life partnership, an honorable estate and therefore to be not entered into unadvisedly or lightly; but reverently, discreetly, advisedly...

Gabrielle Riel: ...soberly...

Gabrielle Riel wonders how many people here are actually sober.

Gabrielle Riel: ...and in the fear of the shotgun.

Gabrielle Riel sways slightly and eyes the shotgun on Scout’s Dad’s arm.

Louis MacLeod pats his Betsy

Scout MacLeod approaches Johnnie

Gabrielle Riel smiles and nods

Gabrielle Riel: Into this partnership these two persons present come now to be joined. If any person can show just cause, why they may not lawfully be joined together, let them now speak, or else hereafter forever hold their peace.

Maggie MacLeod: COUGHS

Louis MacLeod GLARES at the crowd

Maggie MacLeod whispers "Just saying"

Gabrielle Riel waits...looks left...looks right...and releases a small sigh of relief

Scout MacLeod glares at her mom

Gabrielle Riel: Excellent!  :-)

Elisabeth Osterham whispers, "Sounds like it's about time."

Gabrielle Riel: Johnnie, will you have Scout as your Second Life partner, to live together on the grid in the joyous relationship of partnership? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her, so long as you are both in agreement to do so?

JohnnieWilde: I Will!

Gabrielle Riel: Scout, will you have Johnnie as your Second Life partner, to live together on the grid in the joyous relationship of partnership? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, be faithful to him, so long as you are both in agreement to do so?

Scout MacLeod tears up a little and looks at Johnnie. "I will!"

Gabrielle Riel smiles

Gabrielle Riel: Johnnie, please repeat after me:

Gabrielle Riel: I Johnnie take you Scout as my Second Life partner, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till the collapse of the Internet us do part, according to the Lindens’ holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth.

JohnnieWilde: I Johnnie take you Scout as my Second Life partner, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till the collapse of the Internet us do part, according to the Lindens’ holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth.

Gabrielle Riel: Scout, please repeat after me:

Gabrielle Riel: I Scout take you Johnnie as my Second Life partner, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till the collapse of the Internet us do part, according to the Lindens’ holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth.

Scout MacLeod: I Scout take you Johnnie as my Second Life partner, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till the collapse of the Internet us do part, according to the Lindens’ holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth.

Gabrielle Riel smiles and then looks at Johnnie.

Gabrielle Riel: If you like it, then you should’ve put a ring on it. Do you have the ring?

JohnnieWilde smiles

JohnnieWilde gets a ring out of my pocket

Gabrielle Riel: Johnnie, please repeat after me:

Gabrielle Riel: With this ring I thee wed, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow, in the name of Phillip, Ebbe and Torley. Amen.

JohnnieWilde: With this ring I thee wed, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow, in the name of Phillip, Ebbe and Torley. Amen!

Gabrielle Riel: Oh eternal Grid, giver of all avatar grace, the foundation of our Second Life, send thy blessing upon these thy servants, this man and this woman, whom we bless in thy name so they may surely perform and keep the vow and covenant betwixt them made and may ever remain in perfect love and peace together and live according to TOS. Amen.

Gabrielle Riel: Those whom the Duchess of Carntaigh hath joined together let no person put asunder.

Gabrielle Riel: Forasmuch as Johnnie and Scout have consented together in Second Life partnership, and have witnessed the same before the Grid and this company, and thereto have given and pledged their troth, each to the other, and have declared the same by giving and receiving a ring, and by joining hands; I pronounce that they are Second Life partners, In the Name of Phillip, Ebbe and Torley. Amen.

Maggie MacLeod: Damnit

Gabrielle Riel grins

Scout MacLeod glares at her mom

Gabrielle Riel: You may now kiss one another!

Zoe Foodiboo cheers

Gabrielle Riel: Ladies and gentlemen, I am honored and pleased to present Johnnie and Scout - partners!

Eloise Schiltzen beams happily, but sighs wistfully, thinking, "The things Gerda misses going out drinking and passing out under a bridge somewhere!"

Elisabeth Osterham dabs at her eyes with edge of her stole.

Jogi Schultz claps

Eloise Schiltzen claps, "Hurray!"

Scout MacLeod: is wildly happy

Louis MacLeod starts to scritch his head. "No snakes, but close enough. Congrats!"

Iliana Cerise: ··..•°•··..☺ Applauds! ☺ ..··•°•..··

Myf McMahon applauds

Gabrielle Riel joins in the clapping herself

Eloise Schiltzen: .-'`'-. APPLAUSE APPLAUSE .-'`'-.

Scout MacLeod: yay!! let's dance, folks!

Gabrielle Riel: Indeed!

Here is Kylie Quinn's documentation of the event!

Powered by flickr embed.

Comments